Monday, March 8, 2010

Bag o"Tools

When I first started off writing Exploring Embellishments I came across this poem:





A Bag of Tools---by R.Lee Sharpe

Isn't it strange how princes and kings,

and clowns that caper in sawdust rings,

and common people, like you and me,

are builders for eternity?

Each is given a list of rules;
a shapeless mass; a bag of tools.
And each must fashion, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block, or a stepping stone.

It struck home with me, for no matter what medium or style we go to create we all use tools...we need to learn what's out there/ how to use them... and throw that knowledge in our own Bag of Tools so we can pull them out as we need them to fashion our 'stepping stones'.

There are tools out there for every step in the quiltmaking process.
  • creating the quilt top
  • sandwiching the layers
  • quilting
  • finishing
  • and of course, my favorite... EMBELLISHING
What's in YOUR bag!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

First, my cannot-do-without is my iron; that's a given. Next (because I'm new to embellishing) would be my Minkee stash - great for appliqueing
bunnies or ducks on baby stuff.

Rose Hughes said...

It is great to have a loved fabric stash--so many folks overlook the fabric when it comes to embellishing. I find it makes the possibilities endless! thanks for sharing...

Valerie Kamikubo said...

Rose, I finally decided on my pincushion for sentimental resons.