Sunday, October 31, 2010

More from Houston

Between Halloween and Market celebrations last night it was a wild evening in Houston.... This was only after a wild day of running around, appointments and general visiting at market itself. As for visiting I did manage to take a few pictures of some of my twitter tweeps in their booths. @barij and @penguinandfish...







As for the running around, my map had lots of booths circled and there was the occasional text from others that said something like OMG-have to visit 1056! All in all there was so much to see and so much to do that there was little time for sitting, but one had to find a place to break if only to catch your breath. My little refuge was in my publisher's booth Martingale and the last picture here was taken from that quiet (ha)spot in the corner... they're the best!



With all the wild and wonderful new fabric and tools, a couple of my favorite places were Lantern Moon and Out on a Bead... naturally they were embellishment vendors (always near and dear to my heart).

As an fyi to those who have not been to market, besides the some 2200 vendor spaces there is a whole other world of amazing quilts on display. Mind you with the craziness of all the business happening there is little time left for walking through the quilts -- but, boy it is worth it! Having a chance to check out the quilts was another one of my favorite quiet time escapes -- and the Text on Textile exhibit, SAQA Sightline, and the special exhibit of Traditional Quilts were visual feasts. Walking through them was great, but having to take a few minutes to wish my sister a Happy Birthday (Happy Birthday Mo!) gave me a special chance to take in the quilts from a different vantage. I was very pleasantly surprised at the impact of all the works hung while I set my (very heavy) bag down by the front/ leaned back against the wall and just took it all in. Amazing....

For me it is home today. DH and kitties await, but market opens afresh in just a few hours. Hope your day is filled only with fun tricks and wonderful, fanciful, and of course... tastey treats!

6 comments:

Valerie Kamikubo said...

Thanks for the post from the market. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time :)

Mia Bloom Designs said...

Great post, Rose! I feel like I was there with you.

natalie. beyond the reef said...

Now that is a post that DOES make you feel like you're right there in the middle of it all - - Rose, no wonder your books are such a success!! You are not only an artist but a wordsmith too.Thank you.

Rose Hughes said...

so much to see, so little time -- thank you all for your lovely comments. really love hearing from you all -

Fulvia said...

Rose, the commissioned portrait is fantastic! Congratulations on securing that job AND in its execution. So ... you saw Sightlines??? I am dying to hear or see images from others ... I am not there but I am IN it! ... What did you think, how did it look to you?

Rose Hughes said...

thanks for the comments - Fulvia, Sightlines was wonderful, the works by each of the artists made an individual strong statement that was enhanced by the works on either side. Congratulations on being part of such a great exhibit!