Monday, August 23, 2010

Treasure Box - The Opening

Yesterday, Sunday, turned out to be a very lazy warm summer day at the Hughes and after a wonderful workshop out at the SewN'Sew in Glendora on Saturday I just wanted to do - well, nothing. This is usually pretty hard for me, but I came very close. One of those little pleasures I did take was spent opening a package that appeared without warning in my post office box on Friday.

In this day and age where most things pop up electronically (not complaining here at all-love it), it is especially nice when some special thing arrives in that physical mailbox. I was so jazzed I could hardly wait to open the envelope.


This was no little white envelope, but a bigger manila envelope and it had a big lump in it, that told of grander opportunities. So there I was standing in line with a unexpected envelope from a special (twitter buddy) friend of my-arriving all the way from Ireland! Not being able to wait-- I opened it right there! And, there inside was a little 'treasure box' for the note said 'shells from her beach'-- Well, the treasure box called for special opening - special attention, and I tucked it away back into it's envelope.So, that's what I did... waited for time to enjoy opening this little box on my lazy Sunday, I pulled out my camera and well... you get to share the opening here.

The little box was wonderful all on it's own - covered with maps (love maps) with fun, exotic sounding places, like Fairy Castle, and there was wisps of grasslike stuff peaking out.
With the box open came the nestlike layer of grasslike material and bits of wool roving...

When the protective layer was taken away there inside where little beach treasures... shells, a piece of beach glass and a few non-beach treasures... a large glass bead and several small beads....it is wonderful, and the one thing that kept running through my mind as I opened it was how I felt like I peaking into a nest and finding all sorts of things that were picked

up and carried back and treasured....


so, my little treasure box collection will probably work its way into becoming a nest quilt....

I say probably, only because you know how these things can change and transform each time they are opened.

Thank you Roisin!

3 comments:

Ballygarrett Art Studio said...

So glad you enjoyed the little treasure box and had as much pleasure opening it as I had putting it together. The orange ‘grass like material’ is from unravelled fishing nets I often find on the beach, the little round wood ball that looks like a seed is actually an oak gall sometimes known as an oak apple. You don't have to make anything with them it was more away to say thanks. But I look forward to how and what they might evoke... Have fun! x
Roisin

Rose Hughes said...

Roisin, thank you so much..it was a delight and how cool that the orange stuff is unravelled fishing nets. I would never have thought this. Your little box does have me going... no telling where, but it will be fun going. Talk with you soon. ~Rose

Linda A. Miller said...

What a treasure! Thank you for sharing the whole wonderful opening process with us!