Monday, July 26, 2010

Long Beach Quilt Festival

Wow... what an incredible month July has been for me. I have traveled far and met wonderful people and have seen amazing quilt works.. It will take me a bit to catch up and share many of these with you all.

That brings me to trying to figure out just where to start. I believe I will start not so much at the beginning of the month, but at an exhibit this past week that reminded me where my quilting journey began.

It has been said that, "a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step".

Well, way back in 1990 I ran across some wonderous quilts put out display by a guild in the Seattle area. The use of color and the graphic quality of the designs made me stop in my tracks and the secondary patterns created by the quilting stitches made want one of these 'things' bad.

That's where my quilting journey began, and amongst all the incredible quilts on display at Long Beach included a special exhibit of antique quilts. It was like seeing these again for the first time. The color... the intensity of the graphic designs -- ok, I'll stop and just include the photos. I do hope you enjoy them, but know there is nothing like standing in front of them in person.




I'll post more about my adventures soon. ~Rose

4 comments:

Valerie Kamikubo said...

You're right, I was captivated by the antique quilts as well. Despite the fact that they are "old", I don't think that I could ever grow tired of viewing them. What a heritage and inspiration they have left.

natalie. beyond the reef said...

What lovely sentiment....thank you for sharing this.

Rose Hughes said...

these quilts call you from afar, with their large and compelling graphic designs... then when you get up close the fabrics seem to shine...just how do they do that with cottons? thanks for your comments!

Linda A. Miller said...

I enjoyed the choices you shared with us...fabulous reminder of the artistry that is there in the "traditional" quilt world.