Friday, May 28, 2010

Guest Quilt Artist - Ellenina Gaston

I met Ellenina for the first time many years ago. She was taking my Fast-Piece Applique workshop and the thing I remember most was, she bought up a ton of my little yarn packages. Not for couching as they had been packaged, but for something entirely Ellenina. Within a couple of days she shared not only her quilt, but a whole small series of woven treasures that she had designed with all the yarns. Her mind is always creating and I know you will enjoy seeing her work.

In her own words:

Hello! I am Ellenina Gaston and I currently live in Southern
California with my husband and two children. My hometown is Chicago, Illinois. I grew up sketching in charcoal and pencil with my father, an accomplished illustrator, and doing crafts and needlework projects with my mother. I enjoy experimenting in various media and have tried just about every thing from paints and pastels to water colors and wax. While continuing my art education as an adult, I found my passion in blending pattern and color using fabrics, fibers, thread, ink, paper, found objects, metal and paint -- basically, anything may turn up in a project!

My art is characterized by a vibrant use of color and pattern and cam be a unique mixture of media that often combines skills in quilting, basketry, paintin
g and drawing. The presence of natural elements and female forms predominate in my most recent work.

I have had the pleasure of having my work show in galleries as
part of group shows and exhibits. I teach classes on expressive drawing and surface design techniques. The rest of 2010 will be a very active time for me creatively. You can follow my latest adventures on the my website and I always welcome new Facebook friends.

Che
ers! Ellenina

2 comments:

Textures Fiber Art Group said...

I always read everything every week and love what is going on. Mostly I am in stealth mode. No comments left. Love every artist bio. So fun to learn about them "in their own words". Thanx Rose.

Rose Hughes said...

thanx for coming out of stealth mode this week. I know the artist love to get comments, and I have had a great time introducing them all.