Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Fast-Piece Applique Spotlight #1

It has been loads of fun to share my Fast-Piece Applique method with so many quilters through my books and personal appearances. It is a fun, fast way to stitch together your own designs, and many of you have let it find a way into your own quilts.

Would you like to meet some of them? Well, on Friday's, right here on the blog, I'll be turning the spotlight on one, fun loving quilter... it could even be you!

Today I'm really pleased to share with you the wonderful Melanie Wilson who has taken Fast-Piece Applique to her own personal heights. I feel honored that she chose FPA to stitch together her award winning designs.

Melanie took first place in the McCall's Quilt Design Star 2011; and last year her quilt was amongst the winners of Quilt Your Colors contest in 2010.

                 

     
She and her winning quilt will be featured in the McCall's May/June issue, so you'll definitely want to get a copy.

I asked her those questions we all want know the answers to:


How long have you been quilting?
I began quilting about 6 years ago. Up to this time I tied quilts and thought that was quilting. NOT, not the same at all! 

How did you get started?
I began watching Simply Quilts and at first I wondered why people would cut up perfectly good fabric and sew it back together. Didn't they have anything better to do with their time, I wondered. As I began to view more episodes I could see how many different techniques were used and how there was no limit to peoples imaginations in how to create something wonderful! I became hooked! I had hours and hours of episodes stored on my DVR so that I could watch and re-watch them. I finally got a new sewing machine after wearing mine completely out after 33 years of very frequent use and with it came a quilting class of which I made "First Star" which was my first completed quilt. I was so hooked! 
 
What makes you happiest about quilting?
I'm learning that if I can imagine it, I can find a way to do it. The more I quilt, the more I have to learn and I love learning new techniques! One of the new techniques that I have enjoyed soooo much is Rose's Fast Piece Applique. People are always wanting to know how to do it. Each day I get to quilt is a perfect day!  

No comments: